Sunday, September 20, 2009

Absalom Absalom


I am completely stupefied on what to write in this blog anymore. Out of genuine concern for my life or perhaps just as a conversation 'filler', friends from home often ask, 'Zeke', 'tell me stories about Korea'. This question utterly plagues me to a where I have no discernible clue how I should answer. I've been in Korea long enough to where I'm used to babies staring at me; I've become used to sitting in the teachers office while other teacher's carry on conversations that I will never understand; I've become used the irrational xenophobia and unceasing hospitality. I've become used to it all. I'd venture to say that six months or so is the point in which novelty turns into the blase. I'm thinking that human beings can adapt or get worn down by anything. Whether a person lives in an exotic wonderland or dwells in the belly of a coal mine, a person, eventually, will get used to it and treat it as home. In the movie, The Shawshank Redemption, the character Red, played by Morgan Freeman, notably describes the process known as institutionalism whereby the characters in the film, 'come to love the walls that surround them'. Granted, my comparisons of prison and life here in Korea are a bit outlandish even extraneous but my point is that most of my life has now morphed into a strange duplicitous relationship of frustration and resignation. Many if not all foreigners that have been here a while are disdainfully irked about certain aspects of Korean society and culture that don't easily conform to their own 'rational' based societies; A favorite pastime of teachers here is the denigration of how 'odd' certain things are here. Some teachers usually talk about teaching here as if it were a tour of duty. For instance, 'wait until you're here three years and then talk to me about such and such pet peeve. It pisses me off when I hear teachers grumbling like they've attained some high and mighty status because they voluntarily choose to stay here.
Lately, school life has become a fairly predictable affair; most days are still filled with the regular joy accompanied with the cult like celebrity status I still exude. Other parts of the day I find myself in class just as bored and confused as to why I'm here as the students are.

No comments:

Post a Comment